These notes show the minimum number of techniques required to advance to the next grade. Further variations and techniques are allowed where discussed with your instructors beforehand. Short stick defences and attacks are introduced at this grade.
Tan-jon breathing & pattern
Students will be taught the Red-tip pattern, and must also practice the previous three patterns. Must also repeat Basic 1 to a good standard.
Self Defence Techniques
A series of techniques using joint manipulation or locks to subdue your opponent.
- Step in reverse punch Defence & throw using baton
- Side headlock Head redirection, leg-lift & throw
- Front headlock Wrist-press escape, low-leg takedown from behind, figure 4 lock
- Swan-lock Stomach-throw
- Double-lapel grab against seated defender Seated scissor-leg takedown
- Pulls seated defender from chair to ground Scissor-leg takedown
- 2-3 attacks against seated defender Student to employ any previous self-defence technique as appropriate
Short Stick Techniques
Basic techniques using a short stick (Dan Bong)
- Demonstrate 5 basic strikes
- Demonstrate a choreographed sequence with partner of five attacks, and five defences/disarms
Where time permits, students may be asked to demonstrate takedown techniques, including takedowns against kicks, from previous grades.
Students will be required to demonstrate competence in rolling break-falls, break-falling over 2-3 students crouching on the ground, demonstrating both left and right-side break-falls.
Students are expected to demonstrate three rounds of standing kick-punch sparring with no contact/light contact only. Students cannot strike once in a clinch, but can utilise the basic takedown techniques, and can also spend up to twenty seconds at a time using ground-fighting techniques.
Students demonstrate their basic striking techniques against pads (front kicks, round kicks, punches, spinning hook kicks). The aim of this exercise is to display power, not speed – so the examiner will look for focus and technique.