These notes show the minimum number of techniques required to advance to the next grade. Further variations and techniques are allowed where discussed with your instructors beforehand. At this grade, basic ground fighting techniques are introduced and basic knife or stick self defence.
Tan-jon breathing & pattern
Students will be taught the Black tip pattern, and must also practice
the previous two patterns.
Self Defence Techniques
A series of techniques using joint manipulation or locks to subdue your opponent.
- Long knife lunge to stomach
- Short knife lunge to stomach
- Overhead knife attack
- Escape from scarf hold on ground
- Wall techniques x 4
Walking Stick Techniques
Basic striking and blocking drills using the walking stick. Stick techniques including:
- Unarmed defence (evasion and capture).
- Assisting in applying self-defence techniques (e.g. wrist lock, arm bar, etc.).
- Demonstrate at least 3 of each.
- Rolling break fall over four to five people crouched together on the ground
- High breakfall over a crouched student
Students are expected to demonstrate three rounds of standing kick-punch sparring with light contact. Students cannot strike once in a clinch, but can utilise the basic takedown techniques, and can also spend up to twenty seconds at a time using ground-fighting techniques.
Students demonstrate their basic striking techniques against pads (front kicks, round kicks, punches, spinning hook kicks). The aim of this exercise is to display power, not speed – so the examiner will look for focus and technique.