These notes show the minimum number of techniques required to advance to the next grade. Further variations and techniques are allowed where discussed with your instructors beforehand. At this grade, basic ground fighting techniques are introduced and basic knife or stick self defence.
Tan-jon breathing & pattern
Students will be taught the Blue-belt pattern, and must also practice the previous two patterns. At this grade, Basic 1 is introduced
Self Defence Techniques
A series of techniques using joint manipulation or locks to subdue your opponent.
- Side-by-side sleeve pull 5 variations (side kick to knee, leg sweep, leg lift, hip throw, reaping throw)
- Cross-hand, single wrist grab 2 variations (Irish whip & back-drop with leg sweep)
- Two-handed, double wrist grab (rear) Irish whip
- Reverse Punch 2 variations using belt
- Front kick Belt defence against kick
- Kneeling choke on ground, to side Side arm-bar
- Kneeling choke on ground, in guard 2 variations, ending in arm-bar
- Kneeling choke on ground, at head Roll, wrist-lock & strike
Knife Defence TechniquesA series of techniques to disarm an armed opponent.
- Front knife lunge forearm deflection, spinning hook kick
- Front knife lunge forearm deflection, front break-fall, scissor-leg takedown
- Overhead attack high-block, stepping into back-drop
- Open strike, backhand strike block, whip arm through, hammer lock
Students will be required to demonstrate greater competence in rolling break-falls, break-falling over a single student crouching on the ground.
Students are expected to demonstrate three rounds of standing kick-punch sparring with nocontact/light contact only. Students cannot strike once in a clinch, but can utilise the basic takedown techniques, and can also spend up to twenty seconds at a time using ground-fighting techniques.
Students demonstrate their basic striking techniques against pads (front kicks, round kicks, punches, spinning hook kicks). The aim of this exercise is to display power, not speed – so the examiner will look for focus and technique.